Rock Sandpiper

  • kmburton75
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
      Yesterday at about 1130 there was a ROSA at the tip of Laguna Point.

      Ken Burton
      Inverness
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2005
        Sat, 19 Nov 2005 -- Dorothy Tobkin reports a single ROCK SANDPIPER on the
        rocks to the north of Laguna Point today. This was about 11:15, fully an
        hour before a fairly low high tide of 5.8 feet. She also had a late
        ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER in the willows near Lake Cleone.
      • George Chaniot
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 27, 2010
          I am forwarding this report from Art Robinson of Oakland.

          Your directions were right on the mark for Virgin Creek Beach, where
          Friday morning, March 26, in the hour after high tide on the rocks
          just north of the beach were a flock of 60 or so Black Turnstones (as
          reported earlier) and the ROCK SANDPIPER. As the tide dropped a bit,
          the birds worked their way northwards from one rock grouping to another.
          The Rock Sandpiper had some rufous on his back, the beginnings of a
          transition to breeding plumage? Just south of Laguna Point was another
          large flock of Black Turnstones, this time accompanied by a dozen or
          so Surfbirds. The rocks north of Mill Creek Drive had only Black
          Turnstones, although a sprinkling of Black Oystercatchers were at all
          the spots. -- Art
        • stevestump
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 17, 2014
            1-17-14 1330

            This afternoon around 1:30 pm, George Chaniot, Roger Foote and I observed a Rock Sandpiper at Laguna Point, Ft. Bragg. The bird was on the Rocks to the North of the point. We also viewed the continuing Black-and-white Warbler on the Lake Cleone Boardwalk (East side). We were unable to find the Black-capped Chickadee among many Chestnut-backed Chickadee, Golden-crowned Kinglet and Pygmy Nuthatches.
            Steve Stump