Laguna Point - 11/1

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
      Hi all,

      Charlene and I birded Laguna Point for a couple of hours this afternoon,
      hoping to see a lingering murrelet.

      No Murrelets were seen, but the weather and a few birds kept us entertained.

      Northern Fulmar - 25 (some in quite close)

      White-fronted Goose - 1 (this small bird has been at Lake Cleone for a long
      time, I'm not sure if it leaves?)

      Black Oystercatcher 22 (in one flock)

      Red Phalarope - 200+ (including some on Lake Cleone and many along the
      beach)

      Parasitic Jaeger - 1 (harassing a gull offshore)

      Cassin's Auklet - 3

      The best sighting of the day was a pod of about 30 Risso's Dolphins (Grampus
      griseus) that were about 1 mile due south of Laguna Point feeding for the
      whole time we were watching! We got great scope views and at one time had a
      Harbor Porpoise surface close to shore in the foreground of our scope view
      with the Grampus in the background!

      Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist

      <mailto:ron@...> ron@...

      707/839-0900

      Fax 839-0867

      www.madriverbio.com <http://www.madriverbio.com/>

      Mad River Biologists

      1497 Central Avenue

      McKinleyville, CA 95519

    • Ron LeValley
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
        Hi all,

        Charlene and I saw the albinistic oystercatcher at Mendocino Headlands
        today. I've posted a picture of it to the Photos section of Mendobirds. It
        was pretty far off for photos, so the picture is not high resolution, but it
        is pretty neat!

        For Yahoo members, the link to the photos is
        http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Mendobirds/lst

        Then just click on the photo labeld White Oystercatcher.

        The bird was on rocks on the south side of the Headlands, about 100 meters
        south of the monument, which is south of the southernmost Headland parking
        area.

        Ron

        Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist
        ron@...