South Coast Report - 11/1

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
      Sat 11/1 - Today was a banner day on the coast for SNOW GEESE. On North
      Windy Hollow Rd at 0900 I had a group of 45 SNGO and six ROSS'S GEESE
      fly overhead. An hour later on Miner Hole Rd I had another group of 50
      SNGO and one ROSO fly over. Finally at 1130 I had a third group of 25
      SNGO flying south over the ocean from Point Arena Lighthouse Rd.

      Other birds of interest were a PALM WARBLER along the Garcia River at
      the end of Miner Hole Rd. Also on Miner Hole Rd was a daggetti
      RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER. At the north end of Windy Hollow Rd South
      were a pair of tan-striped WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS. Finally, there was
      a pair of GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE on Hunters Lagoon. There were no
      swans on the Garcia Flats and there was no Tropical Kingbird at mm 35.18
      of Hwy 1.

      Of non-bird note were two bobcats, one on Miner Hole Rd and one along
      North Windy Hollow Rd.

      - Matthew Matthiessen
    • Ron LeValley
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
        Hi all,

        Charlene and I birded Laguna Point for a couple of hours this afternoon,
        hoping to see a lingering murrelet.

        No Murrelets were seen, but the weather and a few birds kept us entertained.

        Northern Fulmar - 25 (some in quite close)

        White-fronted Goose - 1 (this small bird has been at Lake Cleone for a long
        time, I'm not sure if it leaves?)

        Black Oystercatcher 22 (in one flock)

        Red Phalarope - 200+ (including some on Lake Cleone and many along the
        beach)

        Parasitic Jaeger - 1 (harassing a gull offshore)

        Cassin's Auklet - 3

        The best sighting of the day was a pod of about 30 Risso's Dolphins (Grampus
        griseus) that were about 1 mile due south of Laguna Point feeding for the
        whole time we were watching! We got great scope views and at one time had a
        Harbor Porpoise surface close to shore in the foreground of our scope view
        with the Grampus in the background!

        Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist

        <mailto:ron@...> ron@...

        707/839-0900

        Fax 839-0867

        www.madriverbio.com <http://www.madriverbio.com/>

        Mad River Biologists

        1497 Central Avenue

        McKinleyville, CA 95519

      • Ron LeValley
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
          Hi all,

          Charlene and I saw the albinistic oystercatcher at Mendocino Headlands
          today. I've posted a picture of it to the Photos section of Mendobirds. It
          was pretty far off for photos, so the picture is not high resolution, but it
          is pretty neat!

          For Yahoo members, the link to the photos is
          http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Mendobirds/lst

          Then just click on the photo labeld White Oystercatcher.

          The bird was on rocks on the south side of the Headlands, about 100 meters
          south of the monument, which is south of the southernmost Headland parking
          area.

          Ron

          Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist
          ron@...