Tundra Swans at Lake Mendocino

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2003
      Thu, 30 Oct 2003 -- At midday today there were 12 TUNDRA SWANS sitting in
      Barn Cove (=Hunters' Cove) at Lake Mendocino. They were visable at great
      distance from Pomo A and the Mesa, but I walked clear down to scope them
      closely. There were 8 adults and 4 immatures. 6 of the adults had yellow in
      the lores area. This party may be recognizable if they show up somewhere
      else. Are they headed for the Garcia River bottomland? I saw a journal
      article once showing the paths of radio marked birds. They started from the
      north slope of Alaska, came down through central Montana and Wyoming, then
      came west across the Great Basin to winter in Central California. Do the
      Garcia River birds arrive from the east?

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA