Gulls at Lake Mendocino

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2003
      Sun, 26 Oct 2003 -- So far this fall the gull watching has been
      pretty slow at Lake Mendocino - there has been a virtual monoculture
      of California Gulls. This week the lake has gone down about a foot,
      and a new island is appearing near Coyote Dam. About noon today,
      Ollie Kolkmann and I saw six species of gulls sitting on this island:
      California Gull -many, all ages
      Bonaparte's Gull -five
      Ring-billed Gull -two, 2nd-winter, adult
      Herring Gull -two, 1st-winter, adult
      Glaucous-winged Gull -one, 1st-winter
      Thayer's Gull -one, 1st-winter
      There was a nice, side-by-side comparison between 1st-winter Herring
      and Thayer's.
      We also saw a Rock Wren perched for as long as we wanted to watch it
      on the concrete terrorist barrier just beyond the parking lot.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA