Chukar

  • Jim Armstrong
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2003
      Of interest but not importance: Some friends who live just inside
      Mendocino County on the north side of Highway 20 have had a plump
      Chukar around their house for the last week or so. I did not find a
      record of this species for the county at the Peregrine webpage. It
      is nonnative, of course, a singleton and somewhat tame (not banded,
      as far as we can see) so probably not a part of a wild breeding
      population. I'll post again if more appear.
    • Janet Rosen
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 26, 2003
        Hi. There was a small flock of them July 2002 in the brush past the
        fence at the south end of the Ukiah Sewage Ponds; the staff there had a
        photo of one wandering past the office and I saw the flock. Folks I
        contacted at local chapter suggested they were escaped from CIty of 10K
        Buddhas.

        --- Jim Armstrong <jimarm@...> wrote:
        > Of interest but not importance: Some friends who live just inside
        > Mendocino County on the north side of Highway 20 have had a plump
        > Chukar around their house for the last week or so. I did not find a
        > record of this species for the county at the Peregrine webpage. It
        > is nonnative, of course, a singleton and somewhat tame (not banded,
        > as far as we can see) so probably not a part of a wild breeding
        > population. I'll post again if more appear.

        =====
        Janet Rosen
        http://www.zanshinart.com
        Open eyes, open mind, open heart

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 14, 2011
          I was riding my bike on Sanford Ranch Rd about 5:15 pm today (Friday) and I saw a Chukar crossing the road from east to west into Beckstoffer's Vineyard. This is directly north of the Talmage Post Office by about 1/4 mile. There is no doubt in my mind at all that this bird was released by the Buddhists, but it is still a very neat and pretty bird to see. The bird is a little wary if you try to see it and it stays on the ground.

          Dave Bengston
          Ukiah