Long-billed Murrelet

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25, 2003
      Greetings Mendobirders,
      This morning (Sat Oct 25) Gary & Judy Maddox and I spent several hours
      at Laguna point searching for the Long-billed Murrelet. At 1000 I saw
      what I believe to be the LONG-BILLED MURRELET about 200 yards due north
      of the outer observation deck. Unfortunately I found the bird just as
      it dived and was unable to relocate it. All the field marks I saw were
      consistent with LBMU but unfortunately I was unable to study the bird.

      There were many birds moving south including all three common loon
      species, one LONG-TAILED DUCK, and 12-15 WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS and two
      BLACK SCOTERS among the long lines of SURF SCOTERS. We also saw two
      NORTHERN FULMARS and 9 BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES. The ROCK SANDPIPER
      continued on the rocks north of the outer observation deck and RED
      PHALAROPES were abundant. At Lake Cleone the hen CANVASBACK continued
      along with one aleutian CANADA GOOSE.

      - Matthew Matthiessen