Long-billed Murrelet continues

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2003
      Fri, 24 Oct 2003 -- The LONG-BILLED MURRELET first spotted at Laguna Point
      by Dorothy Tobkin on Monday was seen again yesterday by Janet Stein,
      myself, and others. Today Chuck Vaughn, Dorothy Tobkin, and I found it
      again in the waters to the north of Laguna Point. Yesterday it was seen
      from ~9:30-11:00 about 200 yards off the third observation platform along
      the boardwalk. Today it was about 300 yards NNW of the last observation
      deck at the end of the boardwalk from ~10:00-11:30. It was not easy to find
      as the waves were higher than yesterday, and it was diving frequently. Even
      when on the surface, it could only be seen about 10% of the time. It could
      also be seen from the third platform, but the views were better from
      further out because the line of sight was more nearly parallel to the wave
      troughs. Todays views have dispelled any of my doubts as to the
      identification. Be cautioned that there were several basic-plumaged Pigeon
      Guillemots nearby.
      It was a nice day on the point. Thousands of Surf Scoters were
      flying south past the point and among them a few WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS and
      BLACK SCOTERS. There were a few migrating PACIFIC LOONS, but I think their
      numbers have yet to peak. A single ROCK SANDPIPER, the first of the season,
      was among the Surfbirds waiting out the high water on a rock just north of
      the point. Several NORTHERN FULMARS, both white and dark, made close passes
      just beyond the rocks. Further out were dozens of BLACK-LEGGED KITIWAKES
      and a single SABINE'S GULL. At Lake Cleone there was a hen CANVASBACK and a
      GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE among the wigeon.

      I have a late report by Ted Ekman from Berkeley of two TROPICAL
      KINGBIRDS in the blackberry thickets below the Mendocino Village visitor
      center on Sun, 19 Oct at 10:45 AM.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA