Long-billed Murrelet

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2003
      Mon, 20 Oct 2003 -- Dorothy Tobkin and Art Morely saw the murrelet again in
      the afternoon, and both believe that it is a LONG-BILLED MURRELET. It was
      in the waters off the outer parking lot at Laguna Point. More opinions are
      solicited.
    • Matthew Matthiessen
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 25, 2003
        Greetings Mendobirders,
        This morning (Sat Oct 25) Gary & Judy Maddox and I spent several hours
        at Laguna point searching for the Long-billed Murrelet. At 1000 I saw
        what I believe to be the LONG-BILLED MURRELET about 200 yards due north
        of the outer observation deck. Unfortunately I found the bird just as
        it dived and was unable to relocate it. All the field marks I saw were
        consistent with LBMU but unfortunately I was unable to study the bird.

        There were many birds moving south including all three common loon
        species, one LONG-TAILED DUCK, and 12-15 WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS and two
        BLACK SCOTERS among the long lines of SURF SCOTERS. We also saw two
        NORTHERN FULMARS and 9 BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES. The ROCK SANDPIPER
        continued on the rocks north of the outer observation deck and RED
        PHALAROPES were abundant. At Lake Cleone the hen CANVASBACK continued
        along with one aleutian CANADA GOOSE.

        - Matthew Matthiessen