Barred Owl

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 17, 2003
      Oct 16th, 2003 Al DeMartini reports that he heard two Barred Owls
      calling in Montgomery Woods State Park about 1:30 AM. He also heard a
      call note from a Spotted Owl from the direction of the woods above the Orr
      Springs Resort.... or to the East/Southeast of the trail loop I assume.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 24, 2014
        Fri, 24 January, 2014 --  SE of Caspar, I heard two Barred Owls around 6:35-pm.  I was on a dark, quiet road.  A few times, I played a sound that was NOT Barred Owl.  Suddenly, a Barred Owl called loudly from just in front and above me - it was startling!  Immediately, a second Barred called from my left, a little further away.  I moved to my car right away.  I didn't have my flashlight out, so it wasn't visible. Then, two vehicles approached and passed by.  That was the end of the event.  (Jim was at the FBHS basketball game).  This was 162 on my'January only' list -  quite exciting and a little scary.

        Karen Havlena
        North of Fort Bragg, MEN, Ca