Cinquo de Mayo Birding Highlights

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7 6:18 PM
      They may be late but here are my birding highlights from Saturday May 5.
      I began the day at the old bridge over the Eel River in Potter Valley.
      I was rather dismayed to discover the dipper nest had disappeared. It
      looked as though someone had swept the nest off its perch with a broom.
      After a few minutes I noticed an adult AMERICAN DIPPER flying under the
      bridge with what looked like nesting material in its bill. From under
      the bridge it took just a couple minutes to discover where the birds
      were building a new nest. The new one is under the bridge just inside
      of where the old one was. Let's hope this one makes it.

      From the old bridge I drove over the hill to Pioneer Bridge. Within a
      few minutes a MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER popped out of the brush on the
      northwest side of the bridge. From the bridge I scanned the kettle of
      TURKEY VULTURES circling downstream and noticed one of them was
      significantly larger and had a totally white head and tail. The adult
      BALD EAGLE was carrying something in it's talons but at that distance I
      couldn't determine if it was plant or animal. I watched the eagle for a
      while but ultimately lost the bird low against the hillside to the
      west.

      Next stop was Low Gap Rd. There were no grouse booming at the cattle
      guard so I continued up the road. I finally heard a BLUE GROUSE booming
      approximately .9 miles past the cattle guard where the road makes a 90
      degree lefthand turn. The bird was on the downhill side of the road.
      There was also a GOLDEN EAGLE at the cattle guard.

      My final destination was the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant. Of the
      large ponds, only the north one has water in it and it was here that I
      found one LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER and one SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER
      (caurinus).

      Good Birding Everyone
      Matthew Matthiessen