Franklin's Gull/Lake County

  • Dave Woodward
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2003
      This morning near 10am myself and two other observers approached
      the Kelsey Creek outlet at Clear Lake State Park by boat where we
      observed a Franklin's Gull swimming in a mixed flock of gulls for
      nearly five minutes. We also saw the bird in flight. This gull had
      the black half-hood, white eye cresents, white nape, dark gray
      mantle, white underside with black confined to the wingtips and
      other characteristics of either a non-breeding adult plumaged or a
      second winter bird. There were many Bonaparte's Gulls nearby for
      comparison. We last saw the gull in flight headed west towards
      Lakeport.
      To look for this gull from land go to the north end of the
      visitor center parking lot in Clear Lake State Park. The Monterey
      Pine that was near the start of the trail to the Kelsey Creek outlet
      has been removed, but the stump is still there. Find the stump and
      proceed across the grass to locate the start of the unmarked trail
      to the outlet. High rubber boots are recommended due to the high
      lake level this year.

      Dave Woodward