Weekend Coastal Report

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2003
      Greetings All,
      This past weekend (9/27-9/28) Stan Snyder, Larry Siemens, and I along
      with a group of birders worked the Mendo coast. Highlight of the
      weekend were great views by all of the RED-THROATED PIPIT found by Jerry
      White on Sat. We saw the bird both on Sat and Sun (at 0800 and 1500).

      Other highlights were a TENNESSE WARBLER at Glass Beach on Sat morning.
      The TEWA was in the willows about 100 ft north of the lone cypress
      tree. At Virgin Creek Beach also on Sat morning was a RED KNOT, a
      PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVER,a PECTORAL SANDPIPER, an early MEW GULL, and 10
      SNOWY PLOVERS. In the conifers on the walk down to Virgin Creek Beach
      was a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH.

      On Sun morning we had a MERLIN and another PECTORAL SANDPIPER at
      Hunters Lagoon. On Sun afternoon the golden-plover continued at Virgin
      Creek Beach. At Ward Ave were four BLACK SCOTERS. And late Sun
      afternoon at Laguna Point we had a shockingly close flyby of a SOUTH
      POLAR SKUA.

      - Matthew Matthiessen