White Pelican at L. Mendocino

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2003
      Fri, 19 Sep 2003 -- At noon today there was a single AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN
      at Lake Mendocino sitting on a bon the east side south of the boat-in
      campground. It was visable from the south marina - even without binoculars.
      Boat activity was very low. I don't have much confidence that it will be
      there this weekend when the boat activity may increase 10-fold. I know some
      county listers are interested in seeing this species in Mendocino, so I
      will continue to report all sightings.
      Earlier at the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant there were 2 PECTORAL
      SANDPIPERS, a LESSER YELLOWLEGS, 4 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS and 2 SNOWY
      EGRETS among the other waders. The first NORTHERN SHOVELLER of the season
      was among the Mallards. The south pond is drying out, but there is still
      good wader habitat.
      I have recently started a new database at the Mendobirds website
      for reporting first fall arrivals for the inland parts of Mendocino County.
      Check it out at

      All Mendobirds subscribers who have a Yahoo ID linked to their membership
      should be able to view it, add records, or edit records. Please contribute.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA