Blue Grouse

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 17, 2003
      Tuesday 16 Sept 2003, Chuck Vaughn found a Blue Grouse in oak/grassland at
      the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center. Also seen by me (thanks to
      Chuck) this is the first BLGR that either Chuck or I have seen on the
      Center (30 and 20 years respectively). We have one other record from 30+
      years ago. I have seen and heard about other BLGR showing up around
      Hopland in oak woodland type habitats and on the valley floor in the fall
      of the year. There is at least one resident population between the
      Mountain House Road and Hwy 101 near Squaw Rock. This particular bird was
      very wild and flighty ... unlike most other ones that I have seen in the
      past. There are also BLGR in the Yorkville, Boonville, and to the west of
      Ukiah areas where Douglas Fir is mixed in with oaks. I have never seen
      BLGR in the mature Douglas Fir stand near Sheldon Creek campground (BLM
      South Cow Mountain) but the habitat looks right. I have heard of BLGR on
      North Cow Mountain above Hwy 20.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • vishnu
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 23, 2004
        On Sunday 3/21 on private property along Robinson Creek Rd. (just west of
        Ukiah) a male Blue Grouse was found booming in the top of a large fir tree.
        Long and excellent views of him were had. A short while later and several
        hundred yards away equally fine views were had of a motionless female Blue
        Grouse perched on the ground.
        (Although I was no longer able to hear the male at that point I rather hoped
        that her hearing was more acute than mine so as to not have all his ardor be
        for nought and whatever passes for love between grouse go unrequited in this
        lovely Spring.)
        Vishnu
      • chaniot@pacific.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 16, 2004
          Fri, 16 Apr 2004 -- Today Joanne Haller and I birded in the Eel River
          drainage above Potter Valley. Along the county road to Lake Pilsbury we
          found a booming BLUE GROUSE between milemarkers 33 and 34 in Lake County.
          By triangulation it seemed to be in a large ponderosa pine with a broken
          top to the east of the road. There may have been a second bird booming on
          the other side of the road. It was a very lovely morning with a nice mix of
          spring migrants. Along the logging road about 1/2 mile upstream from the
          Pioneer Bridge we found a male MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER. This is the earliest
          record ever by over a week. The logging road is now closed to vehicle
          traffic due to a slip-out about 0.3 mi. up. That makes it much quieter and
          better for birding.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA
        • Jerry White
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 6, 2005
            This morning at 8:50 AM there was a Blue Grouse calling on Low Gap Road west of Ukiah . This was about 3/10ths of a mile past mile marker 15.95 just past a cattle guard. This is an established and known location.

            Somewhat earlier on Potter Valley Road I saw 2 Northern Rough-winged Swallows, the first of the year for me.

            In Lake County the Eurasian Wigeon was at the north end of Borax Lake. I was not able to locate the Pacific Loon or Glaucous Gull. Jerry White

          • Robert J. Keiffer
            Message 5 of 5 , May 5 8:37 AM
              Wednesday 4 May 2005 - I had the fortune to go out onto Mendocino Redwood
              Company lands southwest of Philo. During the morning we heard probably
              20 to 30 male blue grouse hooting. My sense from speaking with MRC
              personnel is that the wild hog population really crashed about 10 years
              ago... and the Blue Grouse numbers have apparently (casual observations ...
              no actual transects or counts) increased during this last decade. My
              theory is that after heavy timber harvesting in the county during the
              1950's and 60's that the blue grouse population crashed ... and was
              suppressed until the habitat began to recover. In combination with this,
              I believe that the wild hogs predated nests quite heavily (since grouse
              are ground nesters) in areas that had high wild feral pig
              populations. Now that both the pig population is way down and the forests
              are recovering I believe that blue grouse population in the west and
              southern part of Mendocino County are bouncing back. In recent years I
              have had several reports of single grouse in very out-of-character places
              ... which I think represents young individuals expanding or emigrating from
              their "traditional "home population" area.

              I also just learned of Blue Grouse in the extreme SE portion of Mendocino
              County ... east of the Russian River and almost to the Sonoma County line.

              Happy birding. Bob Keiffer