Lake Mendocino

  • JHUNTER323@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 14, 2003
      Mendobirders,

      Tom Leskiw and I were unable to relocate the White Pelicans at Lake Mendocino
      on 9/13/03 at about 5:00 pm.

      John Hunter
      Arcata, CA
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 27, 2005
        Thu, 27 Oct 2005 --I did a survey of Lake Mendocino today, having
        been away for two weeks. New arrivals were BUFFLEHEADS, BONAPARTE'S
        GULLS, and a young male COMMON GOLDENEYE, the earliest record ever. A
        huge flock of pipits was drifting over the island emerging on the
        east side south of the boat-in campground. At Bu-Shay campground
        there was a YELLOW-SHAFTED FLICKER, 3 Red-shafted Flickers, 2 Hybrid
        flickers, and a bright 'ruber' Red-breasted Sapsucker.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • chaniot@pacific.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 26, 2007
          Thu, 26 Jul 2007 -- There was a smattering of migrant shorebirds at Lake
          Mendocino this morning: a GREATER YELLOWLEGS and a BAIRD'S SANDPIPER at the
          south boat ramp. This is the earliest sighting of Baird's Sandpiper on
          record for the interior county. At the inlet were 5 WESTERN SANDPIPERS, 5
          LEAST SANDPIPERS, and a SPOTTED SANDPIPER. There was a RING-BILLED GULL
          and a group of CALIFORNIA GULLS at the south end.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA

          Full list: Pied-billed Grebe, 1; Western/Clark's Grebe(24/10), 266;
          Double-crested Cormorant, 1; Great Blue Heron, 1; Green Heron, 1; Canada
          Goose, 134; Mallard, 92; Common Merganser, 4; Killdeer, 3; Greater
          Yellowlegs, 1; Spotted Sandpiper,1; Western Sandpiper, 5; Least Sandpiper,
          5; Baird's Sandpiper, 1; Ring-billed Gull, 1; California Gull, 11
        • chaniot@pacific.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 30, 2007
            Thu, 29 Nov 2007 -- This morning I birded Lake Mendocino and found a few
            interesting species: There was a MEW GULL at the south boat ramp area,two
            HERRING GULLS in the north end of the lake, a SNOW GOOSE and a CACKLING
            GOOSE on the shore at Pomo B, an adult BALD EAGLE at the Mesa, a pair of
            CANVASBACKS at the Mesa, and a COMMON LOON at Perry Creek Cove. Later in
            the day there was an Aleutian-like CACKLING GOOSE among the 75 honkers at
            the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant.

            George Chaniot
            Potter Valley, MEN, CA
          • chaniot@pacific.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 7, 2007
              Fri, 07 Dec 2007 -- This morning at Lake Mendocino there were a few birds
              of CBC interest:
              BONAPARTE'S GULL, 1, southmost end of the Lake, Area 3.
              CACKLING GEESE, 26, south of the South Boat Ramp. Flew to the north shore
              near Oak Grove Parking Lot, Area 2
              ROSS'S GOOSE, 1, with the Cacklers., Area 2
              ROCK WREN, 1, Coyote Dam between markers 004 and 005, Area 2
              SNOWY EGRET, 1, Pomo A, Area 2.
              HERRING GULL, 1 adult, Pomo A, Area 2.

              George Chaniot
              Potter Valley, MEN, CA
            • George Chaniot
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 11, 2008
                Wed, 09 Jul 2008 -- I did a survey of the Lake Mendocino on Wednesday.
                There was little of note except a few returning migrants: an adult
                RING-BILLED GULL and two adult CALIFORNIA GULLS at the south marina, and two
                adult LEAST SANDPIPERS at Pomo A.

                George Chaniot
                Potter Valley, MEN, CA
              • George Chaniot
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 27, 2009
                  Fri, 27 Feb 2009 -- I got out to the lake between rains today. The water
                  level has gone up to an elevation of 721.2' from a low of 711.4' on the
                  10th, but the water is turbid and there is a fair amount of floating debris.
                  Bird numbers are down except for widgeon, scaup, and gulls. TREE SWALLOWS
                  were cruising about everywhere, and I saw one VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW.
                  There was a group of gulls on the mud near the south ramp with birds
                  streaming to and from Ukiah. Among the California and Ring-billed Gulls was
                  a first winter GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL and a 1st winter bird which I take to be
                  a THAYER'S GULL but on the very pale side. [ smaller than Glaucous-winged,
                  larger than California, bill relatively small, bill all black, wing coverts
                  neatly speckled, secondaries slightly darker than coverts in flight,
                  primaries cafe au lait and finely edged with light color.] Others may want
                  to take a look at this bird.
                  Last night Comet Lulin was visible with binoculars in Leo. Tonight, if
                  it stays clear, it should be visible very close to Regulus, the brightest
                  star in Leo.

                  George Chaniot
                  Potter Valley, MEN, CA

                  Western Grebe 3
                  Clark's Grebe 1
                  Western/Clark's Grebe 132
                  Canada Goose 88
                  Cackling Goose 9
                  Mallard 138
                  Northern Shoveler 1
                  American Wigeon 91
                  Greater Scaup 5
                  scaup sp 259 most apparently Greater
                  Bufflehead 3
                  Common Merganser 2
                  Ruddy Duck 6
                  Bald Eagle 1 adult
                  American Coot 200
                  Killdeer 1
                  Ring-billed Gull 33
                  California Gull 107
                  Thayer's Gull? 1 pale 1st winter
                  Herring Gull 1 adult
                  Glaucous-winged Gull 1 1st winter
                • Bob Keiffer
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 19 7:44 AM
                    18 April 2009 - Saturday - With the weather warming there was lots of human activity on the lake ...skiers, kayakers, fishermen, etc. by late morning. However, I was able to spot a mature and immature BALD EAGLE on the east side, along with a single BONAPARTE'S GULL. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

                  • George Chaniot
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 28, 2011
                      Thu, 28 Jul 2011 -- This morning I covered Lake Mendocino and peered into
                      every corner - at least telescopically. The water level is up to the inlet
                      road and the Oak Grove parking lot, but thankfully the lake is not
                      overfilled like last summer. I found no shorebird habitat anywhere, but
                      there might be some deep in Hunter's Cove or Perry Cove. Canada Geese and
                      Western/Clark's Grebes predominate. Of summer interest were two BONAPARTE'S
                      GULLS in the south half and one HERRING GULL in the north half.

                      George Chaniot
                      Potter Valley, MEN, CA

                      Western Grebe 15
                      Clark's Grebe 12
                      Aechmophorus sp. 61
                      Great Egret 1
                      Canada Goose 195
                      Mallard 24
                      Common Merganser 6
                      Osprey 2
                      Bonaparte's Gull 2
                      Herring Gull 1
                      Belted Kingfisher 1
                    • George Chaniot
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 5, 2011
                        Mon, 05 Sep 2011 -- This afternoon there were two FORSTER'S TERNS flying
                        around Lake Mendocino and diving into the waters. They circulated around
                        the north half of the lake and could probably be seen from any good vantage
                        point. I saw them from the Mesa Day-Use Area. Not much else was present due
                        to the high degree of boat activity.

                        George Chaniot
                        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
                      • George Chaniot
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 11, 2011
                          Fri, 11 Nov 2011 -- I did a complete survey of Lake Mendocino today.
                          Western/Clake's Grebes topped the list with about 622 birds. American Coots
                          were next with 353, and there was an unusual number of Double-crested
                          Cormorants, 182. Of particular interest was a first-winter THAYER'S GULL at
                          the south marina, a GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE and a SNOW GOOSE at the Oak
                          Grove Parking Lot, and some COMMON GOLDENEYES near the boat-in campground.
                          On the return trip to Potter Valley I found, alas, a roadkilled
                          RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW along Potter Valley Road.

                          George Chaniot
                          Potter Valley, MEN, CA
                        • George Chaniot
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 17, 2014
                            Mon, 11 Aug 2014 -- At the north end of Lake Mendocino more mudflats are
                            opening up as the lake level drops. This morning there was a flock of about
                            130 shorebirds - mostly Western Sandpipers, a few Least Sandpipers and two
                            WILSON'S PHALAROPES.

                            George Chaniot
                            Potter Valley, MEN, CA