USTP, L. Mendocino 9/12

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2003
      Fri, 12 Sep 2003 -- I birded the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant this morning
      from 10:00-11:00. The water level and exposed mud in the south pond is
      excellent now for drop-in shorebirds. Numbers were low, but there was an
      interesting mix: 3 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS, 1 BAIRD'S SANDPIPER, 4 LONG-BILLED
      DOWITCHERS, 10 LEAST SANDPIPERS, 20 WESTERN SANDPIPERS, 1 GREATER
      YELLOWLEGS, and 3 immature BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERONS
      At Lake Mendocino I found 3 AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS sitting on the
      east shore - visable from the south marina or the Joe Riley picnic area.
      There were 15 CASPIAN TERNS sitting on a bar near Miti Campground spit, and
      4 HORNED GREBES were in the water nearby.
      Finally, there was an AMERICAN DIPPER on the rocks under the old
      Potter Valley Road bridge where they have nested for at least the last
      three years.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA