USTP & L.Mendocino, Sep 6

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2003
      Sat, 9 Sep 2003 -- This morning Chuck Vaughn and I birded The Ukiah Sewage
      Treatment Plant. The water level is falling in the south pond, and some
      nice mud bars are starting to appear. Water is being added to the middle
      pond now, and the north pond is dry and recently scarified. Among the peeps
      on the south pond we found a juvenile BAIRD'S SANDPIPER, a LONG-BILLED
      DOWITCHER, and a SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER. We saw a SORA flying over the
      middle pond, and we saw our first White-crowned Sparrows, Sooty Fox
      Sparrow, and Lincoln's Sparrows for the fall. The !st-winter White-crowns
      appeared to be _gambelii_ with light lores and orangish bill. It's funny
      that the northern race should be the first to arrive, when the southern
      yellow-billed birds prevail in the inland county through the winter. Along
      the Russian River riparian there were several WILLOW FLYCATCHERS and
      several quarts of YELLOW WARBLERS. Later Yellow Warblers were much in
      evidence in trees and shrubs around Ukiah.
      The level of Lake Mendocino is falling, now at 734', and muddy
      edges are starting to appear in the inlet. I saw a BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER on
      the east shore and three CASPIAN TERNS flying around the north end.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA