Coastal Mendo - 8/30

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2003
      Greetings Mendobirders,
      Yesterday Rich Schilk and I birded the coast from Navarro to Westport.
      At Navarro we had one MARBLED GODWIT. At Van Damme we had a small group
      of GRAY JAYS in the upper campground. Caspar Pond yielded on late
      PURPLE MARTIN. Scoping from Laguna Point produced two PINK-FOOTED
      SHEARWATERS and on the boardwalk around Lake Cleone we saw two
      MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLERS. At Ward Ave we saw two BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS on
      the beach. As John Hunter previously reported, the Westport Sewage
      Ponds held one AMERICAN AVOCET and from the Juan Creek Overlook we
      scoped two MARBLED MURRELETS. Virgin Creek Beach had three SNOWY
      PLOVERS, five HARLEQUIN DUCKS, and three more MARBLED GODWITS. Of
      particular note were the numbers of RED-NECKED PHALAROPES which were
      numerous at every coastal stop yesterday.

      We returned to Ukiah via Comptche Ukiah Rd and stopped at Montgomery
      Woods to do some owling. At 2100 in the Grubb Grove we had one BARRED
      OWL calling almost directly over our heads. Upon returning to our car
      we were suprised to hear another Barred Owl calling from the parking
      area.

      Good Birding.

      Matthew Matthiessen