8/30/02 Mendocino County report

  • JHUNTER323@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2003
      Mendobirders,

      Today, 8/30/03, The Yellow-headed Blackbird was still present near Hopland
      Field Station.

      There were lots of people on the beaches around Fort Bragg so the shorebirds
      were really moving around. At Glass Beach there was a single Pectorial
      Sandpiper. At Virgin Creek Beach I had 2 Baird' Sandpipers, 3 Marbled Godwits, at
      least one Snowy Plover and a good variety of other misc. shorebirds. On my way
      back to the car I was surprised by the arrival of 15 American Avocets at the
      mouth of Virgin Creek. I saw one imm. Willow Flycatcher at the mouth of Howard
      Creek. At the Westport Sewage Ponds, Matthew and I had 10 dowitchers (some
      Short-billed at least), 50 Red-necked Phalarope, and one American Avocet flew in.

      John Hunter
      Arcata, CA