Virgin Creek

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 29, 2003
      I went least terning at Virgin Creek on Thursday morning, 8:30 a.m., unsuccessfully. But in the four hours that I was there I saw 1 greater yellowlegs, 1 red-necked phalarope, several black turnstones, 1 adult male ruddy turnstone (breeding plumage), 3 marbled godwits, 3 whimbrels, 3 snowy plovers, lots of juvenile black-bellied plovers and one adult male in breeding plumage, 2 willets, some sanderlings, dozens of semi-palmated plovers, and lots of western sandpipers. I'm new to identifying shorebirds but am pretty sure of most of these. Someone let me know if any of these are unlikely.

      Bood girding.

      Kate

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Feather Forestwalker
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2008
        Today on an impromptu (i.e. 'accidental') bird walk (read 'physical therapy'), at Virgin Creek Beach just north of Fort Bragg, I encourntered two bird species that I am unsure of, species-wise.

        Pipit - maybe American (?) on the beach near the creek.

        Also on the beach several flocks, loose and tight, of what appeared to be Black-bellied Plovers, but I cannot be certain.

        I did get photos. E mail me if you would like to see and help me with my ID.

        Thanks,
        Feather

      • fred.andrews47
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 11, 2009
          At Virgin Creek

          August 11 - 11:30 am. Overcast skies.

          Canada Geese
          Mallards
          Brewers Blackbirds
          (1) Great Egret
          (1) Black Phoebe
          Killdeer
          Western Sandpipers
          (1) Willet
          (6) Whimbrels
          Western Gulls
          Heerman's Gulls
          Turkey Vultures

          Offshore Rocks:

          Pelagic Cormorants

          Fred Andrews
        • birdmanofthewoods3
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 23, 2012
            Nice sunny day for a trip to Virgin Creek along the Fort Bragg haulroad. Saw a male GREEN-WINGED TEAL which was not totally right (see photo posting link below), but still plenty beautiful. Not quite in breeding plumage? Also a male NORTHERN PINTAIL with two females, RUDDY DUCK, SURF SCOTTER, etc. etc. Good duck day on Virgin Creek.

            Also seen our accidental YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD who persists at Virgin Creek and now has a harem of two female BREWERS BLACKBIRDS. I'm looking forward to some xanthocephalus x cyanocephalus hybrids come this spring. A long shot since they are seperate genuses I know, but then we would have a semi-yellowed-headed blackbird.