Re: [Mendobirds] Caspian Terns

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 29, 2003
      Bob's report reminds me of some Caspian Tern observations that I
      forgot to report. On Aug 19 and 21 I saw 18 and 22 Caspian Terns at Lake
      Mendocino sitting along the east shore and on the emerging island near the
      south marina - fairly high numbers for inland Mendocino. I also note that
      it was 25 Aug 2001 when I saw a similar, unexpected flock fly over my house
      in Potter Valley. This is their seasonal slot here.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • choatzin
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 17, 2005
        This evening at 7:15PM, Geoff and I saw and heard a flock of what we
        believe to be Caspian Terns heading southeast over our place off Old
        River Road, three miles south of Talmage. They were flying way up
        there in a loose flock of about fifty birds, visible only as
        glittery specks to the unassisted eye. The big white birds with
        black wingtips were croaking distinctively.

        Cheryl Watson
        Ukiah, CA
      • AlbionWood
        Message 3 of 7 , May 9, 2006
          Today just after noon, a flock of 12 northbound Caspian Terns flew over
          the west end of Middle Ridge in Albion, about one mile inland from the
          beach. They did this last year around this time, too.

          Cheers,
          Tim
        • George Chaniot
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
            Mon, 07 Jul 2008 -- This morning at about 09:00 two CASPIAN TERNS, making
            their characteristic squawk, flew high over the end of Burris Lane in Potter
            Valley headed SE toward Clear Lake. The only other records here have been in
            late August.
            Some other unseasonal records in recent weeks were three PINE SISKINS at
            my feeders (Jun 11, 25, 30), and a male GREATER SCAUP (Jun 27) on the East
            Road Pond. The TRICOLORED BLACKBIRD colony on East Road is rapidly
            disbanding as the second nesting comes to an end. There is a creche of
            about 80 juveniles in a nearby cattail marsh that is being attended by
            adults, but numbers are down from about 400 last Thursday.

            George Chaniot
            Potter Valley, MEN, CA
          • AlbionWood
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 13, 2009
              13 April 2009 - Flocks of Caspian Terns, about a dozen at a time, are
              flying north over the west end of Middle Ridge in Albion this
              afternoon/evening.

              Also, yesterday we had a bright male Wilson's Warbler, first one I've
              seen on this property.

              Cheers,
              Tim Bray
              Middle Ridge, Albion
            • AlbionWood
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 21, 2010
                Wednesday 21 April 2010 - Caspian Terns are flying north over Middle
                Ridge, Albion, about one mile inland. This seems a week or two earlier
                than I usually see them. Has anyone else kept track of when they go by?

                Cheers,
                Tim