Caspian Terns

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 29, 2003
      Thursday, 28 August 2003, Between 7:30 and 8:00 PM two flocks of migrating
      Caspian Terns were flying south over the lower elevation portion of the UC
      Hopland Research & Extension Center. The first flock of 20 birds was a
      mixture of immature and adult birds, and one could here the high pitched
      calls of the young along with all the other typical loud raucous calls that
      Caspians make. They were probably about 800 to 1000 feet high and
      circling as they moved south. Within minutes a second flock of 24 birds,
      not quite as noisy as the first and flying in a more direct flight pattern,
      flew over in the same path but slightly higher. The entire next month is
      a good time to be constantly checking habitats for fall migrating birds
      .... the birds at any one place can be replaced by others within hours.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 29, 2003
        Bob's report reminds me of some Caspian Tern observations that I
        forgot to report. On Aug 19 and 21 I saw 18 and 22 Caspian Terns at Lake
        Mendocino sitting along the east shore and on the emerging island near the
        south marina - fairly high numbers for inland Mendocino. I also note that
        it was 25 Aug 2001 when I saw a similar, unexpected flock fly over my house
        in Potter Valley. This is their seasonal slot here.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • choatzin
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 17, 2005
          This evening at 7:15PM, Geoff and I saw and heard a flock of what we
          believe to be Caspian Terns heading southeast over our place off Old
          River Road, three miles south of Talmage. They were flying way up
          there in a loose flock of about fifty birds, visible only as
          glittery specks to the unassisted eye. The big white birds with
          black wingtips were croaking distinctively.

          Cheryl Watson
          Ukiah, CA
        • AlbionWood
          Message 4 of 7 , May 9 2:14 PM
            Today just after noon, a flock of 12 northbound Caspian Terns flew over
            the west end of Middle Ridge in Albion, about one mile inland from the
            beach. They did this last year around this time, too.

            Cheers,
            Tim
          • George Chaniot
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
              Mon, 07 Jul 2008 -- This morning at about 09:00 two CASPIAN TERNS, making
              their characteristic squawk, flew high over the end of Burris Lane in Potter
              Valley headed SE toward Clear Lake. The only other records here have been in
              late August.
              Some other unseasonal records in recent weeks were three PINE SISKINS at
              my feeders (Jun 11, 25, 30), and a male GREATER SCAUP (Jun 27) on the East
              Road Pond. The TRICOLORED BLACKBIRD colony on East Road is rapidly
              disbanding as the second nesting comes to an end. There is a creche of
              about 80 juveniles in a nearby cattail marsh that is being attended by
              adults, but numbers are down from about 400 last Thursday.

              George Chaniot
              Potter Valley, MEN, CA
            • AlbionWood
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 13, 2009
                13 April 2009 - Flocks of Caspian Terns, about a dozen at a time, are
                flying north over the west end of Middle Ridge in Albion this
                afternoon/evening.

                Also, yesterday we had a bright male Wilson's Warbler, first one I've
                seen on this property.

                Cheers,
                Tim Bray
                Middle Ridge, Albion
              • AlbionWood
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 21, 2010
                  Wednesday 21 April 2010 - Caspian Terns are flying north over Middle
                  Ridge, Albion, about one mile inland. This seems a week or two earlier
                  than I usually see them. Has anyone else kept track of when they go by?

                  Cheers,
                  Tim