Least Tern

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 25 5:08 PM
      Monday, 25 August, 2003 - Least Tern - "toby" called me to report that
      Jerry White saw the least tern at Virgin Creek Beach at 4:15 PM. It was
      hanging out with Black-bellied Plovers.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • Jerry White
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 25 9:02 PM
        Some additional details on the Least Tern sighting; I found the bird about 4:20 PM standing with the Black-bellied Plovers approx.. 100 yards north of Virgin Creek. I watched it for about 10 minutes. During that time it flew circled out over the ocean and returned and lit closer to the ocean. It then again flew and ended up back at its original spot. I then walked up the beach and noted some other birds of interest; 2 Snowy Plovers, 2 Ruddy Turnstones, and a group of Harlequin Ducks. When I returned I could not relocate the tern. However just as I was leaving I noticed the bird flying overhead. It eventually landed on the beach again. This was about 5pm. Good luck! Jerry White