MacGillivray's in LAK and MEN

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2001
      Tue, 1 May 2001 -- This morning I did my exercise walk on the logging road
      along the south side of the Eel R upstream from Bucknell Creek. The logging
      road is clearly marked with a new green sign 1/4 mile before the Pioneer
      Crossing Bridge. It is passable but could use some spring pothole
      maintainence. There is also a new sign marking the Mendo/Lake border, but
      according to my map, Lake county begins at Bucknell Creek.
      My goal for the morning was to find MacWarbler in Lake Co., so I
      worked the riparian strip of alders, willows, and old-growth poison oak,
      but with no luck. Back on the logging road, I walked east into the national
      forest. About a half mile beyond the Mendocino NF sign I came upon a
      Black-throated Gray Warbler which pished in very close. Along with it came
      another BTYW, 2 Warbling Vireos, a Cassin's Vireo, a Hermit Warbler, and a
      male MacGillivray's Warbler. Quite a productive pish; never neglect to
      enlist the aid a cooperative BTYW. (I put up a small cairn on the shoulder
      to mark the spot, Jerry)
      Back downstream in MEN I found another MacGillivray's in the brushy
      area near the broad pullout before the gate. No Purple Martins at the
      bridge this morning.
      George Chaniot

      1 May 2001 CA, Lake Co., Logging Road from Bucknell Creek E 1 1/2 mi.

      Common Merganser
      Turkey Vulture
      California Quail s
      Mountain Quail s