USTP- possible Semipalmated Sandpiper

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2003
      Hi everyone. I went back to the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant today, to see
      if any new birds had come in. A few have, including what was probably a
      juvenile SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER. I first saw it at the east end of the
      central pond at around 2:30, and watched it for about a minute before it
      flew, but several points make me think it was indeed a Semi. These include
      the length of the bill (it was on the short end for a Semi, and fairly thick
      and straight), breast, neck, and head pattern, overall coloration and leg
      color. I'm not going to say for sure that it was indeed a Semi, but its
      something to keep an eye out for out there.

      Other new birds included a SPOTTED SANDPIPER, starting to molt into basic
      plumage, and three more DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS, for a total of five.
      Gone are the Willet, Long-billed Dowitchers and California Gull. Still
      around are the GREATER and LESSER YELLOWLEGS, and all the Peeps. A total of
      4 GREAT EGRETS were nice to watch. At one point all the birds on the
      central pond freaked out and started flying around, yelling (which was when
      I lost the Semi). I then noticed a BOBCAT slinking into the dead dock. I
      never saw it come out. Shorebird activity is definitely picking up out
      there. Good birding,

      Matt Brady
      Ukiah, CA
      zerogambit@...