USTP- Willet, Eared Grebe

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2003
      My Aunt and Uncle and I birded the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant early this
      afternoon. We observed a few interesting birds, including a WILLET, an
      EARED GREBE still mostly in alternate plumage, and two LESSER SCAUP, which
      were in need of a good molt. The Grebe and Scaup were in the duck Pond,
      while the Willet flew between the Duck pond and the Central pond. Also
      around were two GREATER YELLOWLEGS, a LESSER YELLOWLEGS, a SEMIPALMATED
      PLOVER, two DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS, a half dozen CINNAMON TEAL, the
      previously reported Juvenile CALIFORNIA GULL, 8 or so LONG-BILLED
      DOWITCHERS, at least 4 GREEN HERONS and scads of Least and Western
      Sandpipers. Most of the Shorebirds were in the far eastern end of the
      Central pond, with the Blackbirds and Swallows, though 6 of the Dowitchers
      and the Willet were at the western end of the Central pond. There was only
      one Western and one Least Sandpiper in the Northern pond, where most of the
      shorebird activity had been previously. Good birding,

      Matt Brady
      Ukiah, CA
      zerogambit@...
      AIM: Podoces