USTP 8/2

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2 9:45 AM
      Greeting Mendobirders: I birded the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant this
      morning (8/2) and there was quite a bit of activity out there. I saw 6
      WILSON'S PHALAROPES on the middle pond on the exposed grassy
      hummocks. There were also lots of peeps (I saw just LEAST and WESTERN) and
      a number of LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS on all 3 oxidation ponds. Among the
      hundreds of MALLARDS, etc was the first NORTHERN PINTAIL I've seen here
      this summer/fall. There was also a juvenile CALIFORNIA GULL hanging around
      the ponds. WILSON'S WARBLERS are already moving south down the river, and
      a newly-arrived MARSH WREN was singing in the weeds on the middle
      pond. Some of you sharp-eyed birders get on out there! Incidentally,
      Barbara and I have been enjoying the hummingbird wars at our feeders since
      the SELASPHORUS started arriving about a week ago.

      Chuck

      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      1550 Deerwood Drive
      Ukiah, CA 95482
    • Matt Brady
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2 4:13 PM
        Austin Booth, my Aunt and Uncle and I visited the USTP this afternoon, where
        we met Vishnu. We also saw the WILSON'S PHALEROPES in the central pond, but
        no Dowitchers. On the northern pond Austin spotted a SEMIPALMATED PLOVER.
        On the berm between the Duck Pond and the central pond were a baker's dozen
        CANADA GEESE, and at the east end of the Central Pond were numbers of
        juvenile TREE and VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS, a BLUE-WINGED TEAL and a GREEN
        HERON. Swimming in the Duck Pond was a DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT, while
        Chuck's juvenile CALIFORNIA GULL flew around scaring the Blackbirds. in the
        northern pond was a variety of peeps, including both juvenile and adult
        WESTERN SANDPIPERS and some LEAST SANDPIPERS.
        Good birding,

        Matt Brady
        Ukiah, CA