Osprey Nest

  • Jim Armstrong
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2003
      Yesterday I spotted an Osprey nest that I can't believe I missed
      before. It is in the top of a high voltage pole right where Marina
      Drive turns off Highway 20 to go down to the north shore of Lake
      Mendocino. It is a big conglomeration of sticks and branches, some
      really close to the HT wires. It is also very close to the camera
      that Caltrans has on a tall pole to monitor their variable message
      sign. I got lucky with a phone call to the Caltrans Eureka office
      this morning and spoke to the guy in charge of the camera. He said
      they knew of the nest and saw activity there in the last week; he
      turned it on as we spoke and watched several still pictures
      (refreshed every 10 seconds), but nothing going on. The nest is
      easily observed from the parking area along Hwy 20, maybe 100 feet to
      the west. I'll try to find a spot to look down into the nest.
    • Jim Armstrong
      Message 2 of 3 , May 12 8:45 AM
        For those heading out to Potter Valley on Sunday, look for the
        replacement Osprey nest on top of the tallest high tension tower on
        the ridge north of Highway 20; it pops into view at mile marker 34.54.
        This nest was active last year, but was removed or blown down over the
        winter. Due to the configuration of the tower, building materials
        that don't stick to the nest are caught by the girders underneath,
        making a two-story effect. The first good place to scope it is just
        past the Marina turn (it is blocked from the big turn-out).
        Best viewing is 100 feet or so past where Road B makes its right angle
        turn to the north; take Road A as if you are heading for Fife
        Vineyards.
        It is huge lift from Lake Mendocino to this site and it seems likely
        that materials and food may also come from ponds north of it.
      • jarlyus
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 14, 2012
          At least three youngsters are still being fed at the Osprey nest at the junction of Highways 20 and 101 between Redwood Valley and Calpella.

          The nest is at the top of a three-light standard at the north end of the mill parking lot.
          Really good viewing is from the triangular turnout between the north and south bound ramps to 101 from west bound 20 (where tourists pull off to decide which way to go).

          These are some quite imperturbable birds as there is a constant stream of loud car and truck traffic.

          Jim Armstrong
          Potter Valley