Garcia River mouth, Etc.

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2003
      My Dad and I birded along the coast today. Our first stop was the Garcia
      River mouth, where a number of returning Shorebirds were present. Although
      most of the peeps were along the far shore and unIDable, I did see a number
      of SANDERLINGS, most still in breeding plumage, a half-dozen or so
      BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS, a large flock of SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, a single
      WHIMBREL, a DOWITCHER SP., a small flock of WESTERN SANDPIPERS, and small
      numbers of both BLACK and RUDDY TURNSTONES. Also present were a dozen or so
      CASPIAN TERNS and 25 or so HEERMANN'S GULLS. Along Miners Hole Road were a
      couple of Passerines, but none that I would consider migrants. A pair of
      Caspian Terns were harassing a Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk, which I thought was
      interesting. Past the last parking area, at the end of the Road was a large
      stand of apparently naturalized Fuscia that had a cloud of Hummers swarming
      around it. There were at least a dozen Selasphorus Hummingbirds, and 6 or
      so Anna's Hummingbirds. We then headed up to the Mendocino Headlands. We
      didn't see any Puffins, but the Western Gull, Cormorant and Murre colonies
      were in full swing. We then looked for Toby's Least Tern at Virgin Creek
      Beach, but we didn't have any luck there, either. However, there were more
      Shorebirds, including SANDERLINGS, WHIMBRELS, SURFBIRDS, and both
      TURNSTONES. Back in Ukiah I saw a flock of 5 CANADA GEESE in the big weedy
      field between the Freeway and the end of Brush Street. Early migrants?

      Matt Brady
      Ukiah, CA
      zerogambit@...
      AIM: Podoces