Re: [Mendobirds] Purple Martins

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2003
      Larry Knowles and I saw 7-8 purple martins soaring around over the Eel River about 1/2 mile upstream from Hearst. Also saw a bald eagle.

      Kate Marianchild

    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9, 2004
        9 June 2004 - Wednesday - Today I ran the Branscomb USGS Breeding Bird
        Survey. Highlights included several Hermit Warblers and a couple Purple
        Martins. The are nesting in a snag above the Branscomb Road at mm
        0.52. All other species found seemed normal however Western Tanagers
        and Swainson's Thrush seemed rather numerous compared to other past
        years. Vaux's Swifts have been absent the last two or three years but
        historically were seen about one mile up Branscomb Road above some mature
        growth conifers. Even though Branscomb Road is still remote ... the number
        of residence's along the road has increased over the last decade. 2 to 4
        more Purple Martins are building nests under the Juan Creek Highway 1
        bridge and a River Otter was leaving the rip rap rocks (probable den) to
        enter the surf. A dozen Caspian Terns were seen along the
        coast. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

        Robert J. Keiffer
        Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
        4070 University Road
        Hopland, CA 95449
        (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

        Theodore Roosevelt

      • Matthew Matthiessen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 11, 2006
          Tuesday July 10 * Yesterday evening I observed a male and female PURPLE MARTIN along University Drive at approximately 19:30. The location was just west of the cattleguard at the base of the long steep hill about 0.75 miles east of Old River Rd. The birds were part of a large swallow flock that was working the south side of University Dr. University Dr is the road that leads from Old River Rd to the Hopland Field Station (HREC).

          Good Birding,
          Matthew Matthiessen
          Ukiah, MEN, CA