Lawrence's Goldfinch

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2001
      Monday, April 30, 2001, I just watched one (maybe two, male Lawrence's
      Goldfinches with a large feeding flock (about 40 birds) of Lesser
      Goldfinches. They can easily be seen from University Road east of
      Hopland. After leaving East Side Road follow University Road up the hill
      for about 3 to 3.5 miles. There will be a sharp left hand corner on the
      road and directly ahead of you (east) is a deer fenced pasture called
      Vasser Corner Pasture. There will be a salt feeder box and bathtub water
      trough on your right (ESE). Watch for the flock of goldfinches feeding on
      popcorn flower inside the deer fenced area. When they feed they drop below
      the grass line out of visibility...so watch them as they "hop-scotch"
      across the field as they feed. Once in a while they flush to the deer
      fence along the county road.
      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040
    • Matthew Matthiessen
      Message 2 of 12 , May 22, 2001
        Yesterday, May 21 at 7:15 pm, I observed a male and female LAWRENCE'S
        GOLDFINCH at the Hopland Research Center. The birds were at the Vasser
        East corner. I initially saw the male sitting on the small wooden box
        beside the metal gate. After a couple minutes he dropped down into the
        dirt below the box and began to forage. I couldn't determine if there
        were seeds or salt in the dirt or whether he was ingesting grit. He
        stayed there for a few minutes and then flew up to the fenceline where
        he was joined by the female.

        Good Birding
        Matthew Matthiessen
      • Robert J. Keiffer
        Message 3 of 12 , May 8, 2002
          Wednesday, 08 May, Lawrence's Goldfinches have been showing up at the UC
          Hopland Research & Extension Center for about one week now...but in
          scattered areas. This afternoon between 2:00 and 2:30 PM I saw 6 LAGO and
          heard a couple more by the Vasser Corner Experimental Area along University
          Road. This is the same site that has provided LAGO for birders in the
          past. After turning onto University Road, which heads east from East Side
          Road just north of "Old Hopland", follow the road up the grade for about
          two miles. You will pass an old wooden barn on the right (south) side of
          the road. Go about another 1/8th mile and there will be a sharp bend to
          your left. At this turn you will look directly at the "Vasser Corner
          Experimental Area" sign on a 6 foot high fence...here there will be a
          pullout/parking area on your right. Watch the tipped-over wooden box
          which is a salt feeder as the birds come to this for salt. Especially
          watch the bathtub water trough... this is where I saw most of the LAGO
          drinking.
          There are many Lesser Goldfinches in the area so scan all the fences and
          "popcorn flower" patches on which the goldfinches love to feed. One of
          the best ways to find the birds is to just sit and listen for the bell-like
          tinkle call which is very distinctive once you hear it. You can call
          707-744-1424 and ask for Bob Keiffer or Chuck Vaughn if you need further
          details. Bob Keiffer

          Robert J. Keiffer
          Principal Supt. of Agriculture
          UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
          4070 University Road
          Hopland, CA 95449
          (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040
        • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 31, 2003
            Greetings Mendobirders: Earlier this afternoon I saw a male Lawrence's
            Goldfinch in a mixed flock of Lesser Goldfinches and House Finches by the
            permanent pasture at the entrance to HREC. This is the earliest record I
            have for LAGO in the county by a month!

            Chuck

            ***********************************
            Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
            1550 Deerwood Drive
            Ukiah, CA 95482

            cevaughn@...
          • Robert J. Keiffer
            Message 5 of 12 , May 26, 2004
              Wednesday, May 26, 2004, Once again Lawrence's Goldfinches are coming to
              the salt feeders here at the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center. I
              saw 3 on Friday mid-day and 2 males today at mid-afternoon. Easily seen
              from University Road, drive up the University Road from East side road just
              north of the little community of "Old Hopland" (Highway 175 runs through
              this town). Go about two miles east on University Road, climbing a steep
              grade along the way. Within about a half-mile past the top of the grade
              you will pass a green meadow on your right and as you approach a sharp turn
              to the left you will see a bright red feeder next to a sign that says
              "Vasser Corner". Park on the right at the pullout leading to the
              aluminum gate and watch the fenceline for birds. they have been coming to
              a rubber tub salt feeder next to the bright red feeder. They may also
              come to the other two modern-looking salt feeders near the bath tub
              drinking trough.

              There has also been a male Lazuli Bunting in this area.

              Good Luck. Bob Keiffer

              Robert J. Keiffer
              Principal Supt. of Agriculture
              UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
              4070 University Road
              Hopland, CA 95449
              (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

              Theodore Roosevelt

            • Robert J. Keiffer
              Message 6 of 12 , May 16, 2007
                Wednesday - 16 May 2007 - Today I saw at least 5 male Lawrence's
                Goldfinches feeding on fiddleneck flowers with a group of Lesser
                Goldfinches (mostly males). With this number showing up, and other
                sightings in the county, it is likely that the UC Hopland Research &
                Extension Center birds will soon find the established salt feeder
                along University Road. If this happens, as it has in the past
                (except for last year), it provides a good "wait and see" spot for
                the public birders to watch for this species. Chuck Vaughn and I
                will keep an eye on this spot and post it if they begin to use the
                salt feeder site. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

                Robert J. Keiffer
                Principal Supt. of Agriculture
                UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
                4070 University Road
                Hopland, CA 95449
                (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

                arena." Theodore Roosevelt

              • Kate Marianchild
                Message 7 of 12 , May 16, 2007
                  I saw a male Lawrence's Goldfinch at Round Mountain ranch in oak canopy
                  this afternoon.

                  I also saw the Red-shouldered Hawk Dad feeding a King Snake to his
                  three youngsters. He worked on the tail end for a long time, struggling
                  to get meat. It seemed to be hard to tear it off. Then he ceased
                  feeding the chicks, and kept looking in the nest, as if wondering, "Now
                  what am I going to do with the rest of that snake? It's taking up too
                  much space." He picked it up and held it, looking off into the
                  distance, which is when I saw that the body of the snake was largely
                  untouched. Then he put it down and picked it up a few more times, and
                  finally he flew off with it. I wish I knew where he took it. To hang it
                  over a limb somewhere and save for later?

                  Does anyone know if raptors cache food away from their nests?

                  Kate

                  On May 16, 2007, at 5:46 PM, Robert J. Keiffer wrote:

                  > Wednesday - 16 May 2007 - Today I saw at least 5 male Lawrence's
                  > Goldfinches feeding on fiddleneck flowers with a group of Lesser
                  > Goldfinches (mostly males). With this number showing up, and other
                  > sightings in the county, it is likely that the UC Hopland Research &
                  > Extension Center birds will soon find the established salt feeder
                  > along University Road. If this happens, as it has in the past
                  > (except for last year), it provides a good "wait and see" spot for
                  > the public birders to watch for this species. Chuck Vaughn and I
                  > will keep an eye on this spot and post it if they begin to use the
                  > salt feeder site. Good birding. Bob Keiffer
                  >
                  > Robert J. Keiffer
                  > Principal Supt. of Agriculture
                  > UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
                  > 4070 University Road
                  > Hopland, CA 95449
                  > (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040
                  > HREC website: http://danrrec.ucdavis.edu/hopland/home_page.html
                  >
                  > "It is not the critic who counts... not the one who points out how
                  > the strong person stumbles... or where the doer of deeds could have
                  > done better. The credit belongs to the person who is actually in the
                  > arena." Theodore Roosevelt

                • Robert J. Keiffer
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 28, 2009
                    28 May 2009 - Thursday morning - today I observed a male Lawrence's
                    Goldfinch gather salt at the traditional spot from years past along
                    University Road here at the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center. The
                    "traditional spot" is a black-plastic salt feeder for sheep that is on the
                    SE side of the road near a wooden pasture sign that says "Vassar Corner".
                    There are multiple Lesser Goldfinches and House Finches that come in for the
                    salt also. The salt feeders have a large black plastic rain shield over the
                    top of the tubs. Viewers are welcome to stop at the "parking area" near the
                    sign ..watch for the goldfinches at the salt feeder close by (25 feet), or
                    the salt feeder behind the gate (75 feet), or atop the many fences, or
                    bathing at the bird bath near the tank overflow to the SE. Listen for the
                    high "bell-like tinkle" sound of the Lawrence's. Good birding. Bob
                    Keiffer.

                  • Robert J. Keiffer
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 6, 2010
                      6 December 2010 - Wednesday - I refound the Lawrence's Goldfinches that
                      Chuck found yesterday at the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center. There
                      were at least 12 of them, maybe 14, mixed with three Lesser's. They are at
                      the top elevations of the Center and not open to public access. If you
                      desire to look for these for a life bird or year list then you will need to
                      contact me directly at 707-744-1424 ext 112 or email. I will try to check
                      on them every couple of days and post if they persist. Good birding. Bob
                      Keiffer

                    • Adamson, Roger
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 12, 2012
                        Finally!! The Lawrence's Golfinch returned to be seen at 6:02 pm today.
                        Roger Adamson

                        RHA
                      • Robert Keiffer
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 6, 2013
                          5 June 2013 - Wednesday - At about 1:00PM I observed a lone male Lawrence's Goldfinch feeding on gravel or seeds, on the gravel road parking area adjacent to "Vassar Corner Experimental Area" here at the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center. This is one of the traditional spots for finding this species at HREC, but we have not observed any for over two years here. At this spot goldfinches and other birds are drawn to the granulated mineral salt that we put out in black tub dispensers for the sheep. We have added some new salt to the tub just for the goldfinches ...so this may be a good spot for anyone to check out, as it is right along University Road which is open to the public. I suspect more LAGO will be drawn to the spot. This pullout spot if exactly 2.0 miles from the intersection of Old River Road and University Road, and is on the right hand side of a sharp 90 degree road turn to the left. The "Vassar Corner Experimental" sign will be on the fence directly to the east. Watch the tops of the wire fences and listen for the "tinkling bell-like call notes". Good Birding. Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...>

                          [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
                          Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
                          4070 University Rd.
                          Hopland, CA 95449
                          707-744-1424 ext. 112
                          Office hours: Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00

                        • Robert Keiffer
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 1, 2013
                            Tuesday - 1 October 2013 - While draining a large pressure tank near our irrigation pit pond at the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center, 3 American Goldfinches flew in to drink from the running water. I took note of this as AMGO are not all that common around Hopland (at least not in numbers like on the coast). Then, a few minutes later a lone goldfinch came in to drink, about 12 feet away from me, and I thought I noticed yellow in the wings. As I crept a bit closer for an open view ...sure enough, a male LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCH was drinking away from a small puddle... and it appeared to be an adult in winter plumage with very gray back, nape, and crown, some black on forecrown and face but not as prominent as breeding males, and of course the yellow in the wings. I could not see well how much yellow was on the breast, but as it flew away my impression was that it was restricted to the upper breast ... not the entire breast to upper abdomen like breeding males. Good Birding. Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...>