Etsel Ridge Rd July 4-6

  • Demian Ebert
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2003
      Morning:
      The ridge loop from Covelo to Lake Pillsbury delivered most of the target birds with the Spruce Grove being the best location.

      Highlights:
      Green-tailed towhees at Grizzly Flat and Spruce Grove
      Cassin's finch in one of the old logging clearings between Coffee Mill Flat and Spruce Grove, then singing in Spruce Grove
      Mtn. chickadee nest in a cavity about 4 ft off the ground in a fir tree at Spruce Grove.
      Dusky flycatcher building a nest in the whitethorn on the southern edge of the wet meadow at Spruce Grove. Nest is about 2-3 ft off the ground. Female was lining it with down from the nearby willows while the male called from across the meadow.
      Flammulated owl at 1030 PM Saturday night at Spruce Grove (7-5). Heard calling from up the hill above the camp but the bird eventually moved down the ridge past the camp and was heard much closer to camp.
      White-headed woodpecker on a snag in Spruce Grove.
      Hermit warblers (a pair) at the wet meadow of Spruce Grove.
      Townsend's solitaire at the base of Hull Mtn. at the overlook to Lake Pillsbury (in both Mendocino and Lake counties).
      Nesting red-breasted sapsuckers in a snag at Haydon Rock.
      The Hammond's flycatchers were probably also at Spruce Grove, but I couldn't get them to sit still long enough to tell - the only miss of the trip.

      Other items of interest:
      I took a botanist friend with me this trip and he managed to find five species of orchids (I'll get names for those interested).
      The butterflies are incredibly abundant right now. We probably saw a dozen species.
      The dawn chorus at Spruce Grove on Sunday morning started at 430 AM.

      Let me know if anyone wants more information.

      Demian Ebert
      debert@...