Purple Martins

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2003
      Wednesday, 02 July 2003, Bob Keiffer observed at least one pair of Purple
      Martin's utilizing the dead snag on the uphill (south) side of the
      Branscomb road at mm 0.5 (one'half mile from Highway 1). There were also
      at least two pair at the Juan Creek bridge at the north end of Highway 1
      before it leaves the coastline.

      At Juan Creek there were numerous 15-20) alcids out beyond the rocks. My
      first thought was that they were Marbled Murrelets but closer spotting scope
      inspections showed that there were adult Common Murres with juveniles
      (which look a lot like MAMUs). There may have actually been MAMU out there
      but I got tired of squinting my eyes through the scope and trying to find
      birds that were 5% on top of the water and 95% under the water
      feeding. The note here is.... be careful this time of year
      differentiating juvenile Common Murres from Marbled Murrelets.

      At Usal Beach there were 150 -200 Western Grebes with a few Clark's Grebes
      mixed in.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt
    • Kate Marianchild
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2003
        Larry Knowles and I saw 7-8 purple martins soaring around over the Eel River about 1/2 mile upstream from Hearst. Also saw a bald eagle.

        Kate Marianchild

      • Robert J. Keiffer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 9, 2004
          9 June 2004 - Wednesday - Today I ran the Branscomb USGS Breeding Bird
          Survey. Highlights included several Hermit Warblers and a couple Purple
          Martins. The are nesting in a snag above the Branscomb Road at mm
          0.52. All other species found seemed normal however Western Tanagers
          and Swainson's Thrush seemed rather numerous compared to other past
          years. Vaux's Swifts have been absent the last two or three years but
          historically were seen about one mile up Branscomb Road above some mature
          growth conifers. Even though Branscomb Road is still remote ... the number
          of residence's along the road has increased over the last decade. 2 to 4
          more Purple Martins are building nests under the Juan Creek Highway 1
          bridge and a River Otter was leaving the rip rap rocks (probable den) to
          enter the surf. A dozen Caspian Terns were seen along the
          coast. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

          Robert J. Keiffer
          Principal Supt. of Agriculture
          UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
          4070 University Road
          Hopland, CA 95449
          (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

          Theodore Roosevelt

        • Matthew Matthiessen
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 11, 2006
            Tuesday July 10 * Yesterday evening I observed a male and female PURPLE MARTIN along University Drive at approximately 19:30. The location was just west of the cattleguard at the base of the long steep hill about 0.75 miles east of Old River Rd. The birds were part of a large swallow flock that was working the south side of University Dr. University Dr is the road that leads from Old River Rd to the Hopland Field Station (HREC).

            Good Birding,
            Matthew Matthiessen
            Ukiah, MEN, CA