USTP 6/08

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2003
      Greetings Mendobirders: I tried to send this out yesterday, but obviously
      fouled up somewhere. The nice mix of late ducks that had been at the Ukiah
      Sewage Treatment Plant oxidation ponds on June 1 (including pairs of
      Redhead and Greater Scaup and a female Ring-necked Duck) were not to be
      found yesterday. However, there was a female Ruddy Duck with 5 downy young
      on the sludge pond (the small square pond to the right as you enter the
      pond area). As far as I know, this is the second breeding record for Ruddy
      Duck in Mendocino County. The previous record was also from USTP. There
      were at least 5 other female Ruddies on the ponds, and twice that many
      males, so it would not be surprising if there are more nesting efforts.

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      1550 Deerwood Drive
      Ukiah, CA 95482