Etsel Ridge, May 31

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2003
      Sat, 31 May 2003 -- Chuck Vaughn and I headed up Etsel Ridge from Covelo
      after we finished with his BBS route. The season seems to be about two
      weeks late in the higher country, and the Brewer Oaks were just beginning
      to bud out. We got about as far as Bald Mountain before we were stopped by
      some trees down across the road. It looked like the road was covered with
      snow shortly beyond. FOX SPARROWS and one GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE were singing
      along the road from Grizzly Flats to Bald Mountain. After we turned around
      we explored road 20N78 for a ways before it was blocked by snow too. On
      this road we found DUSKY FLYCATCHER, OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, and CASSIN'S
      FINCHES before we headed back down to Round Valley.
      Species of note along the Covelo Road were RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROWS
      at two stops in the Eel River canyon area, and two PEREGRINE FALCONS at the
      sandstone cliffs.

      George Chaniot, Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      From the Eel River Ranger Station to Bald Mountain and back:

      Turkey Vulture, Red-tailed Hawk, American Kestrel, California Quail,
      Mountain Quail, Mourning Dove, Anna's Hummingbird, Acorn Woodpecker,
      Red-breasted Sapsucker, Red-shafted N. Flicker, Pileated Woodpecker,
      Olive-sided Flycatcher, Western Wood-Pewee, Dusky Flycatcher, Pacific-slope
      Flycatcher, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Violet-green Swallow, Steller's Jay,
      Western Scrub-Jay, Common Raven, Mountain Chickadee, Oak Titmouse,
      Red-breasted Nuthatch, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Western Bluebird, Blue-gray
      Gnatcatcher, American Robin, Cassin's Vireo, Warbling Vireo, Orange-crowned
      Warbler, Audubon's Y-r. Warbler, Nashville Warbler, Black-throated Gray
      Warbler, Western Tanager, Black-headed Grosbeak, Lazuli Bunting,
      Green-tailed Towhee, Spotted Towhee, California Towhee, Chipping Sparrow,
      Lark Sparrow, Thick-billed Fox Sparrow, Oregon D-e. Junco, Purple Finch,
      Cassin's Finch, Pine Sisken, Lesser Goldfinch.