the Beach Watch Program needs volunteers

  • rudyardw
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18 5:42 PM

      Hi Folks,

      Please forgive the cross-post on NBBirds, please reply off list using the link given.

      The Farallones Marine Sanctuary Association (FMSA) in partnership with Gulf of the Farallones National Marine Sanctuary (GFNMS) is looking for volunteer observers to survey parts of our Sonoma and Mendocino County coastlines as part of the Beach Watch Program. Each observer is expected to survey their beach for live and dead wildlife, human uses, and oil- rain or shine; though surveys are cancelled in extreme conditions. Surveys can last anywhere from 20 minutes minimum to 4 hours. Instruction is given in methodology, as well as the identification of living and dead marine mammals and birds, though mainly shorebirds and gulls.

      Check out the program at one of our two mandatory orientations (training starts in October):

          Bodega Bay, Sept. 12, 7:00-9:00pm   OR   Gualala, Sept. 13, 1:30-3:30pm

      For more information or to reserve a seat at one of our orientation presentations. go to: www.beachwatch.farallones.org and click on Get Involved!

      Download the flyer here...

      http://beachwatch.farallones.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/BeachWatchExtensionFlyer.pdf

      cheers