Lake County birds

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28, 2001
      This morning at sunrise there were Blue Grouse(and a Pygmy-Owl) calling west of Lake Pillsbury at an established location. Take Elk Mt Rd (301) west (over the bridge) from the Soda Creek Grocery intersection about 2,2 miles to the edge of "the Slides".
      At the bridge over Soda Creek there were two Yellow-breasted Chats and House Wrens calling.
      At Lake Pillsbury there were two immature Bald Eagles.
      On Hull Mt there was a male Calliope Hummingbird. Go to Boardman Ridge (M1). The bird was about 2,9 miles past the intersection of M1 and M6. Also further up Boardman ridge there were singing stephensi Fox Sparrows.
      A White-faced Ibis has been in the rice fields off of the Nice-Lucerne Cutoff (near Nice) near Rodman Slough for two days. Usually it is seen across the road from the abandoned (red) house which is about 3 tenths of a mile from the Rodman Slough Bridge.

      Jerry White

    • Jerry White
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 20, 2012
        From Rodman Slough Park along the lake this morning there were 2 Forster's Terns and a flyover PACIFIC LOON. Further south just north of Robin Hill Subdivision I found 2 Great-tailed Grackles. Jerry White

      • Jerry White
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2012
          This morning there was a SANDERLING at the Kelsey Creek outlet in Clear Lake State Park. A Cackling Goose was also there (present for some time).

          Early afternoon at Borax Lake there was a MARBLED GODWIT. This was quite likely the same bird reported on Thursday the 23rd. In addition there was a BLACK-NECKED STILT. Jerry White

        • Jerry White
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2014
            Made a trip this morning to the Middletown area to look for the Burrowing Owl found on Sunday by Darlene Hecomovich and Susanne Scholz (also seen on Monday by Dave Woodward). I found the BURROWING OWL at the same location as seen the previous 2 days. Off of Butts Canyon Road turn onto Callayomi Road. Go 2/10ths of a mile to where there is a drainage ditch on the east side of the road. Looking along that ditch you will see a white irrigation pipe crossing it. The owl was sitting next to that pipe on the south bank.
            I also found a PRAIRIE FALCON nearby about 3/10ths of a mile down Loconomi Road sitting on a power pole.
            Further down Butts Canyon Road at Detert Reservior amongst the large number of ducks, geese etc. there was a Snow Goose, and a few Cackling Geese. Two adult Bald Eagles also flew over.
            Other birds reported in the area but not seen by me today were a Ferruginous Hawk, a Merlin, and Lewis's Woodpecker.     Jerry White
          • stevestump
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 20, 2014

              1-20-14 1110

              Uvéa and I were able to find the Burrowing Owl Darlene Hecomovich and Susanne Scholz found and Jerry White reported on Jan 7th (thanks for the report). The bird was located in the field across the street from the farmhouse (4/10ths mile) down Callayomi Rd. It was on the third dirt mound away from the road.

              We were unable to find the Snow Goose at Detert Reservoir but found 14 Greater White-fronted geese and 2 Redhead and also many Cackling Geese. Wow, there are a lot of ducks and geese in this reservoir.

              We did not find a Prairie Falcon but did find a Ferruginous Hawk at the Middletown County Trailside Park(in field across st. from entrance). Steve Stump

              photo of Burrowing Owl

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevestump/12060124193/in/photostream/

            • Jerry White
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2014
                Some birds of local interest this morning were;  a Ferruginous Hawk on Finley East Rd., a White-throated Sparrow at Lakeside County Park and a Common Loon on Clear Lake seen from Lakeside County Park. Also at the park were Bullock's Oriole and Western Kingbird.     Jerry White
              • stevestump
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 1 4:37 PM

                  7/1/14 0945

                  This morning on Adobe Creek Rd. at the Adobe Creek Reservoir, there were three recently fledged Common Gallinule. Two of the young were with an adult in the NE corner of the pond and one (much smaller than the other two) were with a different adult in the SW corner. I'm positive there were two different nests.

                  Also later in the afternoon at the Kelsey Creek outlet on Clear Lake State Park, there were 4 Wilson's Phalarope along with a Greater Yellowlegs and over 30 peeps. Steve Stump