Black Skimmers

  • Arthur Morley
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2014
      This morning at Virgin Creek Beach there were two adult Black Skimmers.  At first they were in the midst of the resting gull flock, then at edge of the lagoon.  I saw no Phalaropes.

      Art Morley
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20, 2014
        Re: [Mendobirds] Black Skimmers Sun, 20 Jul 2014 -- The two BLACK SKIMMERS continued at Virgin Creek Beach from 3:05 to 4:10 when we left.  They were sitting in the gull flock north of the lagoon the whole time.  At first they were hidden among the Heerman's Gulls, but later they flew to the edge of the flock and sat on the sand.  Neither one was banded.

        Jan and George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA

        From: "Arthur Morley agmorley@... [Mendobirds]" <Mendobirds-noreply@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 12:57:36 -0700
        To: Mendobirds <mendobirds@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [Mendobirds] Black Skimmers

        This morning at Virgin Creek Beach there were two adult Black Skimmers.  At first they were in the midst of the resting gull flock, then at edge of the lagoon.  I saw no Phalaropes.

        Art Morley
      • Sarah w
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 21, 2014
          I posted a photo of what looks to be a male and female BLSK ( seen yesterday) on Mendobirds.  They seemed to be grooming each other and were not banded.

          Sarah Wagner, PT, DPT
          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jul 20, 2014, at 12:57 PM, "Arthur Morley agmorley@... [Mendobirds]" <Mendobirds-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          This morning at Virgin Creek Beach there were two adult Black Skimmers.  At first they were in the midst of the resting gull flock, then at edge of the lagoon.  I saw no Phalaropes.

          Art Morley

        • Jack Booth
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 21, 2014
            I photographed the skimmers between 1629 and 1732 on 7/20/14. I concur with Sarah w. that they appeared to be male and female. I also observed mutual grooming between both of them. Jack Booth