blue grouse etc.

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2003
      On Monday, May 26, blue grouse were still booming on Low Gap Road outside of Ukiah - .7 miles past the second cattle guard.

      California towhees are nesting - not sure how far along in the process they are since I just found the nest this morning.
      Nest is about four feet off the ground in a shrubby live oak about 8 feet from a frequently-opened gate on a dirt road!

      I'd like to consult someone about a flycatcher identification - dusky or hammond's judging by the white edging on the tail. If it weren't for that I would say Pacific slope. It's nesting in eaves up at the old Mariposa school yurt (up Low Gap). I didn't have a book with me but tried to identify it by call, field marks, habitat, and nest location after I got home, and I'm still stumped! It shivers its wings after it lands on a branch. Is that diagnostic?

      A friend and I watched from a canoe as a red-wing blackbird mom fed at least two very big-mouthed babies in a nest at Lake Pennyroyal last week. We were lucky to be able to see the nest - most are in the middle of the reeds but this one is on the edge. It is about 2 feet off the ground.

      Kate