Hooded Orioles

  • chaniot@mail.pacific.net
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15 7:40 PM
      Thu, 15 May 2003 -- I went to the 501 Sherry location on a trip to Ukiah to
      look for Hooded Orioles. I parked across the street and watched the tree.
      It took about 20 seconds for the male to appear and about 90 seconds for
      the female. Very nice views.
      Then I went to the Pomo Drive location which I have been checking
      about once a week since late March without luck. After watching the palm
      tree for about 15 minutes, I saw a female Hooded visit the blossoms on the
      Bottlebrush at 805 Pomo Drive. She flew off to the south down Pomo Drive
      followed by a male Hooded. I never saw either in the palm tree. Later a
      male Bullock's visited the Bottlebrush too. I checked about six other
      fan-palms in the wider neighborhood, but never saw the orioles again.
      They're in the neighborhood, but where are they nesting?

      George Chaniot, Potter Valley

      Note: I have not been receiving Mendobirds messages since 12 May. Is anyone
      else (presumably reading this on the web) also having this difficulty?
    • Janet Rosen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 12, 2008
        Neighbors directly to the south and a few lots north have fan palms,
        and I'd seen hooded oriole here last summer. This morning a large
        shrub/small tree in the neighbor's yard was playing host to a
        beautiful male plus what appeared to be a female and a couple of
        fledglings. Didn't have any other fruit handy, so have put out a
        little wedge of watermelon.
      • George Chaniot
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 22, 2008
          Tue, 22 Jul 2008 -- Today there was a lot of HOODED ORIOLE activity along
          Leslie Street in Ukiah. They appeared to be a pair of adults and several
          juveniles. Most of the activity was centered around the two fan palms in the
          600 block of Leslie, but they ranged wider through the neighborhood. During
          the heat of the day they spent most of their time in the deep shade of the
          lower palm leaves.
          Both a EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE and a RINGED TURTLE-DOVE were singing in
          the same neighborhood.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA