Bald Eagle, Caspar - and a question

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27, 2014
      27 April 2014 (Sunday) - A friend just called to report seeing an adult
      Bald Eagle soaring over Frolic Cove at Caspar. He was curious to know
      whether this indicated local nesting/breeding.

      I get sporadic reports of similar sightings, usually in the Albion area;
      another friend told me one flew over the Albion River bridge about two
      weeks ago.

      Elsewhere, Bald Eagles are not only nesting, but already hatching
      chicks. At the Earth Day event in Fort Bragg, someone told me they saw
      a newly-hatched chick on a nest-cam in Humboldt.

      So I will echo the question: Do we suspect a local breeding effort, or
      are these just birds passing by on their way to another breeding area?

      Cheers,
      Tim Bray
      Albion
    • Linda Perkins
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 28, 2014
        Hi Tim,

        There is a nesting pair on the Gualala River, according to reports from folks down there. The Albion eagle seems to be resident; it's been around for years and at different seasons, but people have seen only a single bird. It's been waiting a long while for a mate to show up!

        Best,
        Linda Perkins

        At 03:08 PM 4/27/2014, AlbionWood wrote:
        >27 April 2014 (Sunday) - A friend just called to report seeing an adult
        >Bald Eagle soaring over Frolic Cove at Caspar. He was curious to know
        >whether this indicated local nesting/breeding.
        >
        >I get sporadic reports of similar sightings, usually in the Albion area;
        >another friend told me one flew over the Albion River bridge about two
        >weeks ago.
        >
        >Elsewhere, Bald Eagles are not only nesting, but already hatching
        >chicks. At the Earth Day event in Fort Bragg, someone told me they saw
        >a newly-hatched chick on a nest-cam in Humboldt.
        >
        >So I will echo the question: Do we suspect a local breeding effort, or
        >are these just birds passing by on their way to another breeding area?
        >
        >Cheers,
        >Tim Bray
        >Albion

        >For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to these addresses:
        >Turn off email delivery: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com
        >Resume email delivery: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com
        >
        >Yahoo Groups Links

      • Kitty & Creek Norris
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28, 2014
          I've not heard anything about Al the Albatross lately. Any news?
          Kitty
        • Rick & Jeanne Jackson
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 28, 2014
            Hi All,
              We WISH there was a pair nesting on the Gualala River but we think the resident Ravens chased them away. I did receive a sighting of an adult Bald Eagle seen on the Wheatfield Fork of the Gualala yesterday morning, that would be 4/17/14.
              Ospreys females have been sitting on eggs for about ten days. There are three nests near my home in Anchor Bay, one of which I can observe through my spotting scope. It sure is fun being able to watch them.
              Jeanne Jackson, Anchor Bay
            Sent: Monday, April 28, 2014 7:27 AM
            Subject: Re: [Mendobirds] Bald Eagle, Caspar - and a question

            Hi Tim,

            There is a nesting pair on the Gualala River, according to reports from folks down there. The Albion eagle seems to be resident; it's been around for years and at different seasons, but people have seen only a single bird. It's been waiting a long while for a mate to show up!

            Best,
            Linda Perkins

            At 03:08 PM 4/27/2014, AlbionWood wrote:

            >27 April 2014 (Sunday) - A friend just called to report seeing an
            adult
            >Bald Eagle soaring over Frolic Cove at Caspar. He was curious to
            know
            >whether this indicated local nesting/breeding.
            >
            >I get
            sporadic reports of similar sightings, usually in the Albion area;
            >another friend told me one flew over the Albion River bridge about two
            >weeks ago.
            >
            >Elsewhere, Bald Eagles are not only nesting,
            but already hatching
            >chicks. At the Earth Day event in Fort Bragg,
            someone told me they saw
            >a newly-hatched chick on a nest-cam in
            Humboldt.

            >So I will echo the question: Do we suspect a local
            breeding effort, or
            >are these just birds passing by on their way to
            another breeding area?

            >Cheers,
            >Tim
            Bray

            mailto:MENDOBIRDS-owner@yahoogroups.com
            >For vacation suspension of mail
            go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to these addresses:
            >Turn off email
            delivery: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com
            >Resume email delivery:
            mailto:MENDOBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com

            >Yahoo Groups
            Links

          • Rick & Jeanne Jackson
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 28, 2014
              Jeanne here again. Al the Albatross did not return this past winter. Or if the bird was here it was at a different location and not noted. The people who work at the pier in Point Arena and other interested locals watched for Al every day beginning in November. Our favorite visitor did not arrive. Remember that we had few storms until February and that is the month Al usually leaves. We are hoping to see that special Laysan Albatross this coming November or December.
                Jeanne Jackson, Anchor Bay
              Sent: Monday, April 28, 2014 3:02 PM
              Subject: [Mendobirds] Albatross?