Barred Owl at Hendy Woods

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2014
      13 April 2014 - We stopped at Hendy Woods on our way out to Tulelake
      (doesn't everybody?) and birded for about 45 minutes at the bridge and
      near the park entrance. Highlights included Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
      "singing" in a tree near the bridge, male Black-headed Grosbeak and
      Western Tanager perched side-by-side, Purple Martins high overhead, and
      Black-throated Gray Warblers. But the real surprise was hearing a
      BARRED OWL give the full song in broad daylight! I chased down a park
      ranger and she confirmed there is one resident in a roost tree in the park.

      Apologies for the late report, we were pretty isolated out in the
      desert, and distracted by all the Golden Eagles.

      Cheers,
      Tim