Eight Warbler Morning

  • chaniot@mail.pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2003
      Wed, 14 May 2003 -- This morning I did my jog along the Eel River on the
      logging road from Pioneer Bridge to Bucknell Creek and back. The road has
      not been graded yet and is rather potholed, so the Pilsbury traffic is
      going on the county road, and the logging road is very quiet and dust-free.
      My pace Jogging With Binoculars was pretty slow as it was a very birdy
      morning. Everything was singing, and there were duelling grosbeaks,
      duelling tanagers, duelling vireos, and more. Warblers were particularly
      active, and I found Yellow-breasted Chat, Common Yellowthroat,
      MacGillivray's, Hermit, Black-throated Gray, Wilson's, Orange-crowned, and
      Yellow Warblers.
      I spent some time at the bridge watching for Purple Martins, but I
      saw none. They seem to have deserted nesting in the drain holes last year.
      Purple Martin is the only migrant (besides the high-elevation quartet:
      Green-tailed Towhee, Flammulated Owl, Dusky & Hammond's Flycatchers) which
      has not been reported to the Mendobirds database for interior Mendocino
      County this year. Has anyone out there seen them?
      Possibly the most interesting bird was a Chestnut-backed Chickadee
      about 1/2 mile upstream from the bridge. This species is always rare around
      Potter Valley, but there seems to be a sparse population in this area which
      has persisted for decades.
      It looks like the Peregrine Audubon field trip to this area on
      Saturday should be pretty interesting, and the weather forecast is
      favorable. I'll meet you at the Pioneer bridge.

      http://www.pacificsites.com/~chaniot/peregrine/trips.html

      George Chaniot, Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      Great Blue Heron
      Mallard