3.27.14 Riverside Park - Orioles & Pac Slope Flycatchers

  • Dave Bengston
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27 1:11 PM
      This morning I birded Riverside Park. On the way in I met Gordon Stearn who told me he had seen an Oriole which we determined to be a Hooded Oriole.  After I found it, a bright male, I made the loop and returned to look for it again.  When I refound it, another one popped into view, which turned out to be a male Bullock’s Oriole.  They are in an Oak & a Eucalyptus Tree which are right next to each other.  The Eucalyptus is in bloom, which is attracting the nectar feeders.  I also saw an Anna’s and a Selasphorus Sp. male in the same tree.  The 2 trees are located alongside the main trail.  After you go in, take the path along the north side of the fence, make a sharp right, and the trees are about 3/4 of the way down before the end of the fence, on the west side of the trail.  They are the only Oak and Eucalyptus of any size that you will find.  This is a great way to have a side-by-side comparison of the two Orioles.

      On the way in, I also went down the steps to the River where I saw my fos Pacific-slope Flycatchers (2) along with a Brown Creeper.  I saw another Brown Creeper at the end of the trail next to the river, the one with the large suspended tree which makes a nice bench.

      The time was about 9 am to 11:30 am.

      Dave Bengston
      Ukiah