Hooded Orioles

  • Paul Hawks
    Message 1 of 4 , May 14, 2003
      Add another Hooded Oriole nesting site to your list. For four days in a row I have seen Hooded Orioles in the immediate vicinity of 501 Sherry St. (northwest Ukiah), and today got absolute identification of a pair going and coming from a palm tree in the front yard of this address. There are two palm trees. Their apparent nesting site is in the tree to the west. I first saw a male Hooded Oriole in the general neighborhood on March 29.

      Paul Hawks

    • chaniot@mail.pacific.net
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2003
        Thu, 15 May 2003 -- I went to the 501 Sherry location on a trip to Ukiah to
        look for Hooded Orioles. I parked across the street and watched the tree.
        It took about 20 seconds for the male to appear and about 90 seconds for
        the female. Very nice views.
        Then I went to the Pomo Drive location which I have been checking
        about once a week since late March without luck. After watching the palm
        tree for about 15 minutes, I saw a female Hooded visit the blossoms on the
        Bottlebrush at 805 Pomo Drive. She flew off to the south down Pomo Drive
        followed by a male Hooded. I never saw either in the palm tree. Later a
        male Bullock's visited the Bottlebrush too. I checked about six other
        fan-palms in the wider neighborhood, but never saw the orioles again.
        They're in the neighborhood, but where are they nesting?

        George Chaniot, Potter Valley

        Note: I have not been receiving Mendobirds messages since 12 May. Is anyone
        else (presumably reading this on the web) also having this difficulty?
      • Janet Rosen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 12, 2008
          Neighbors directly to the south and a few lots north have fan palms,
          and I'd seen hooded oriole here last summer. This morning a large
          shrub/small tree in the neighbor's yard was playing host to a
          beautiful male plus what appeared to be a female and a couple of
          fledglings. Didn't have any other fruit handy, so have put out a
          little wedge of watermelon.
        • George Chaniot
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 22, 2008
            Tue, 22 Jul 2008 -- Today there was a lot of HOODED ORIOLE activity along
            Leslie Street in Ukiah. They appeared to be a pair of adults and several
            juveniles. Most of the activity was centered around the two fan palms in the
            600 block of Leslie, but they ranged wider through the neighborhood. During
            the heat of the day they spent most of their time in the deep shade of the
            lower palm leaves.
            Both a EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE and a RINGED TURTLE-DOVE were singing in
            the same neighborhood.

            George Chaniot
            Potter Valley, MEN, CA