Belated Pelagic Report - May 11

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2003
      Greetings Mendobirders,
      This is a belated report of the pelagic trip on Sunday May 11 led by
      Debbie Shearwater. The unequivocal highlights of the trip were two
      MURPHY'S PETRELS. The first bird was seen approximately 35 miles out
      around noon. Not everyone saw it as it was flying away from the boat
      fairly rapidly. The second bird was seen 16 miles out at about 1600
      hours. Everyone got good looks at this bird as it hung around the boat
      for a few minutes and made three passes at fairly close range. I
      believe these are only the second and third records of this species in
      Mendocino county.

      Conditions started out favorably but as the day progressed and we got
      further out the wind picked up considerably. Chuck tried hard but
      couldn't get a volleyball game going. Overall bird numbers were low but
      we did see a good variety of species. The following is a list of
      species seen with approximate numbers.

      BIRDS
      Common Loon - 2
      Western Grebe - 5