Dipper

  • jimarm@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2001
      I stopped by this morning (Friday) and watched several feeding cycles
      at the Ousel (American Dipper to be OC) nest George found on the old
      Potter Valley bridge. The parent would work the rapids downstream
      from the bridge, come back low with a wet bug which he or she washed
      again before approaching the verge of the nest. There it was met by
      two or three yellowish maws with the exchange taking only seconds;
      this was followed by several minutes of preening on a rock in the
      shallows.
      Interestingly, I saw a Robin about a mile upstream following a very
      similar pattern; the Dipper looked pretty dapper, but the Robin was
      wet and disheveled.
      Hopefully both these guys and others will survive the opening of
      trout season tomorrow; I have seen over 50 vehicles along this
      stretch of river on past opening days.
      Jim Armstrong