2-27-14 snowy egret

  • Jeff Petit
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2014
      2-27-14
      Garcia River near the lighthouse.
      Jeff and Beth Petit
    • Robert Keiffer
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2014
        1 March 2014 - I just looked at Jeff Petit's photo of the "Snowy Egret" which is in flight over the Garcia River.   Of interest is that this bird shows yellow feet AND YELLOW LEGS.   Snowy Egrets, especially by this time of the year are normally thought to have black legs.    I at first thought that that this could well be a white morph LITTLE BLUE HERON!  They are "casual" on the west coast up to about the Bay Area ... maybe eBird records would reveal their recent distribution better, but MEN does not have a record yet.  However, I think it is, in fact, a SNOWY EGRET.

        I think what we are seeing in the photo that Jeff posted is a non-typical view of a Snowy Egret, an overhead view looking straight down on a bird in flight, that shows ONLY the "aft-leg" coloration and none of the black foreleg coloration.  We normally are not looking at the rear of the legs!    The very bright yellow feet are certainly characteristic of SNEG.   By breeding time the legs should be all black.

        This is an example of where we can all learn from photos ... whereas a written description is usually just a single person's interpretation.  So, Jeff, thanks for sharing.   In any case it might be worth looking at this bird again just to be sure.   I am out of the county for a while ... so I cannot check.    Good luck.   Bob Keiffer  Hopland, CA   rjkeiffer@...

      • Ron LeValley
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2014

          Snowy Egrets do have yellow going up the back of their legs. I’m not sure if it ever completely disappears as they get older……

          Cool shot.

          Ron