White-faced Ibis at USTP

  • chaniot@mail.pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , May 10, 2003
      Sat, 10 May 2003 -- Finally, a sunny May morning.* The big wave of
      migrating shorebirds at the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant seems to be
      passing, but there was a single WHITE-FACED IBIS on the mud in the N. pond.
      It disappeared and reappeared several times; probably moving into the
      vegetation. Also present were 2 Least Sandpipers, 1 Wilson's Snipe, 1
      Greater Yellow--legs, and 1 Spotted Sandpiper.
      Along the Russian River there were a lot of singing migrants:
      Yellow-breasted Chat, Swainson's Thrush, Black-headed Grosbeak, Lazuli
      Bunting, Yellow Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, among others.
      On the S. pond there is still a variety of ducks including 3
      REDHEADS, and Ruddy Ducks doing complete bubble display to copulation. I
      wonder if ruddies will nest here again this year. Several nests on American
      Coot were in the process of hatching, with tiny downies in their spiked,
      orange, punk hairdoos.

      George Chaniot, Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      Note: The Ruffed Grouse map that did not come through with Bob Keiffer's
      recent post can be viewed in the Files section of Mendobirds at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mendobirds/files/

      * "Era un buen día de Mayo, y los pájaros silbaban en la enramada." Opening
      line of Robin Hood, or dRohbeen Ood, which I used to read to my son before
      I fell asleep.